As wives, perhaps one of the most important things we have the opportunity to do in 2018 is to pray for our husband. No one knows him as closely as you do, and this offers a unique chance to come before the Lord and ask him to guide and protect your husband in a powerful way.
Still, sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start or how to focus our prayers, and so, below, you’ll find 17 ways to pray for your husband this year. You can pray through the whole list at once, or pray for specific aspects on different days of the week or month. Even if your husband does not yet know the Lord, you can pray these prayers for him, trusting that the Lord hears you and he loves your husband even more than you do.Pray - it's one of the most important things you can do for your husband this year. Click To Tweet
1. Pray for your husband’s relationship with Christ.
No other relationship in your husband’s life is as important as his relationship with God—not even his relationship with you! The good news is that as your husband grows in closeness with the Lord, his love for Christ will start to spill over into every other relationship in his life, including his marriage. So, pray that your husband will be motivated and excited to spend time with the Lord, praying and reading the Bible.
2. Pray that the Lord will give your husband godly friends.
We become like the people we spend time with, and so your husband’s friends have a huge influence on his life. Ask God to give your husband close friends who are also pursuing Christ, and that they would “spur one another on toward love and good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24).
3. Pray for favor on your husband’s life.
Your husband has already received favor in having you as his wife, for “He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD” (Proverbs 18:22)! Now, pray that God will increase your husband’s favor with bosses, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances!
4. Pray that your husband will thrive in his job.
Few things matter more to a man than knowing he is making significant contributions in his work. Pray that God will give your husband joy in his work and breakthrough in any difficult situations at his place of employment.
5. Pray for your husband’s protection from physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual temptations and attacks.
The enemy wants to drag your husband down, but God is able to keep your husband from stumbling (Jude 1:24).
6. Pray that your husband will be quick to confess and repent from his sin,
… for “if we confess our sins, [God] is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9)
7. Pray that your husband will carry the mantle of leadership in your family with joy, grace, and wisdom.
Leadership is a heavy role, and our husbands need God’s supernatural insight to know how to lead and love well.
8. Pray for your husband’s relationship with each of your children.
Ask God that your husband will see the specific needs of every child in your home, and that he will be faithful to respond to those needs with love and affection.
9. Pray for the Lord’s provision in your husband’s life, financially and practically.
Pray Philippians 4:19 over your husband and his circumstances: “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.”
10. Pray that God will give your husband opportunities to share the Gospel
… with unbelieving friends and family members, and that he would have the courage to do so!
11. Pray that God will increase your husband’s desire to pray,
… for “the prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working” (James 5:16). God wants to work in and through your husband’s life, and he wants to do that through action as well as prayer!
12. Pray that God will increase the intimacy between you and your husband this year,
… and that you will both rejoice in deeper intimacy together. Read Song of Songs if you need some encouragement!
13. Pray that you will be precious to your husband.
The Bible declares that “an excellent wife…is far more precious than jewels” (Proverbs 31:10). Pray that your husband will see you, as his wife, through the eyes of love, attraction, and affection.
14. Pray for unity with your husband
… in decisions and choices that have to be made – and that you will see eye-to-eye in difficult circumstances.
15. Pray that the Lord would increase your husband’s love for you
… and your love for your husband—in 2018!
16. Pray that you will be your husband’s safest and most encouraging relationship this year
… and then ask God what you can do to make your husband feel safe and encouraged in your presence.
17. Pray that God’s will would be done in your husband’s life in 2018
… and that you would help your husband fulfill his calling in the Kingdom of God!
As you pray, remember that no matter how or when you pray for your husband, God is in control, and he is working out all things for good (Romans 8:28)!